Monday 1 July 2013

INTERVIEW: GORGOROTH


Here’s an interview with Norwegian Black Metal giants Gorgoroth. All answers by Infernus. 

Thank you for extracting out time for this interview. First of all, how have you people been?
“Thank you for showing interest in my band. As of now, we are back from a relatively speaking extensive Latin-American tour. I was a bit stressed due to the sudden need to replace our vocalist just two weeks prior to the tour. But it all went well and we had a great time there. As for now the main focus is back on studio work for a while. Meaning that me and Asklund working on pre-productions etc. in his studio at the outskirts of Stockholm, Sweden.”

We were really keen to know the literal meaning of the word ‘Gorgoroth’. Share with us the significance behind the band’s name. What made you guys choose ‘Gorgoroth’ as your band name?
“Well, sure. Back in the early 90′s, I was a bit more interested in fantasy literature than I am now. When Tolkien described the plateau of Gorgoroth in his Lord of the Rings, this made a certain impression on me. Leading to the conclusion that a description of a place inhabited by the powers of terror and fear – fear of the powers of darkness – would fit as a name for my musical project.”

Tell us the story behind the formation of the band? When and how was Gorgoroth established?
“I formed the band together with my first drummer and my first vocalist in 1992.”

Also, tell us how did you start playing Black Metal?
“Yeah. I realized that I was a Satanist and I realised I had a somewhat passionate stance towards metal music and the idea of partaking in shaping its future direction.”

What was the reason behind Gaahl leaving the band?
“He excluded himself through disloyalty through conspiring with an enemy counterworking mine and my band’s will.”

Has the band got that ‘expected’ support from the fans lately? What else would you want the fans to be like?
“I am not sure if I understand what you mean. But, I do not like the description of our audience as that of being merely humble and easy-to-direct ‘fans’. I prefer the term ‘audience’. Well, our audience has at all times been both critical and supportive. I know to appreciate that both in times of difficulties and otherwise.”

Black Suicide: Tell us about the controversy the band faced in Krakow in 2004 during the DVD recording of your live concert ‘Black Mass Krakow 2004’.
“Why?”

So, what are your future plans?
“Instinctus Bestialis has been in the making since the day the Quantos Possunt Ad Satanitatem Trahunt mastertape was delivered to the record company. And it is still not finished. As mentioned earlier, we just returned from Latin America two weeks ago. Now my focus is on studio work, pre-productions, the final arrangements for the upcoming album, and on management work. Plus, the booking duties, as I, to a large extent, do this myself. As for live appearances, I aim at and hope we will reach an agreement for doing some eight shows in south-east Asia in February. Then there will be some smaller projects before we most probably will be doing the longest tour ever back in Europe, covering ALL European territories by the end of 2013.”

Tell us about your influences? What influenced Gorgoroth the most when you were working on the first track ever?
“The spirit of Heavy Metal and a firm belief in Satan as my guide towards true light and goodness.”

Well, what do you have to say about ‘Satanism’? What does Satan is for Gorgoroth?
“Satan is the foundation whereupon we carry out our work.”

Tell us about your stage-act styles?
“No, why? Some things presented better speak for themselves. So, you shall find an answer to this when you see us live.”

Well, coming to the themes again, how would you explain Black Metal- is it about Anti-Religious trends, or is it more about Satan? How important is it to involve such themes in Black Metal?
“It has nothing to do with any kind of anti-religiosity at all. Rather the contrary. I am not sure about your background and context, but where I come from, the devil is at work in times of slumber. And this for a reason.”

What are your views regarding various subgenres originating out of Black Metal like DSBM, Progressive etc.?
“Let’s just say that I don’t know it.  I am plain simply just not interested in checking it out.”

What is your say on ‘Shoegaze’?
“Eh?”

Most of your fans in India were keen to know about your views about Varg Vikerenes. We would love it if you could share something about Varg Vikernes and Burzum.
“What would that be? He is a grown up man and I guess most of you are too. Why not let him talk for himself?”

Before we wrap up the interview, is there anything you would want to share with your fans and the readers?
“As of now, no. I’d love to go there someday. Either as a tourist or performing live (which again would mean both). A friend of mine once lived in Kolkata some months while doing a degree in comparative religions at the University of Bergen. I was invited there, but missed out on the opportunity. That bothers me a lot. If we’ll do it, I’ll make 100% sure to have some days off while there. Thanks for your time!”


Infernus - guitars (1992 - present)
Bøddel - bass guitar (2007 - present)
Tomas Asklund - drums (2007 - present)
Tormentor - guitars (1996-2002, 2008 - present)
Atterigner - vocals (2012 - present)

Also See: